Monday, November 1, 2010

Vegan MoFo: Pie Love




November 1 = first day of Vegan MOFO!

Yeah, I went to a Halloween wedding. And it was a potluck. Basically all of my favorite things: Halloween, potluck, party, happy people in love. I honored their joyous union by stenciling their initials in cinnimon on a pie.

I made a zillion Vietnamese summer rolls. I would have made a gajillion, but I got tired of filling and rolling fragile rice paper. I also made apple pie. The crust is my Great Aunt Irma's oil pie crust recipe. Aunt Irma wasn't down with the saturated fats, so she used this vegan crust recipe for many years. It is the pie crust of my childhood. Mom, this isn't a secret family recipe, is it? I am literally copy-and-pasting my mom's emailed version of the recipe.

Aunt Irma's Pie Crust


1 1/3 cups flour 
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 c. oil and enough mile to make 1/2 c. liquid (pour the oil in first in a cup measure and add non-dairy milk)

Mix with a fork and roll between waxed paper.  Bake at 425 degrees (if you are not baking the filled pie in the oven.)  You can double this recipe to make 2 crusts.  We have found in the past that it helps to refrigerate the dough until cold before rolling out because the dough is very tender and tends to break apart upon rolling.  If it does, I just patch it in the pie pan.

ps- Hi, Billy.

1 comment:

  1. Fancy lookin' pie - your day sounds totally AWESOME!
    Happy MoFo'ing.
    :)

    ReplyDelete