Grandma's antique Native American napkins with happy birds, probably made by Florida Seminole Indians.
Commence preparation! I have my work cut out for me. Our menu is set to include:
- Stuffed chickpea cutlet loaves
- Green Bean Casserole
- Cornbread stuffing
- Spiced sweet potatoes
- Dinner Rolls
- Apple Pie
- Pumpkin Pie
- Guest contribution: swamp cabbage! More on this later...
Whole Grain Cornbread (adapted from VegWeb)
1 cup non-dairy milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 T cornstarch or arrowroot + 1 T water, whisked to combine
3/4 cup unbleached flour
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
3/4 cup cornmeal, medium grind
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
- Combine the wet ingredients, whisking to combine well.
- Assemble the dry ingredients in a separate bowl and mix.
- Add dry to wet, stir only until combined. Prolonged stirring makes for flat, stiff bread.
This bird guards the clean napkins year-round.
Papayas! Ah, Florida in November.