Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Vegan MoFo: It's Beginning to Smell a lot like Thanksgiving!

 Grandma's antique Native American napkins with happy birds, probably made by Florida Seminole Indians.

Commence preparation! I have my work cut out for me. Our menu is set to include:
  • Stuffed chickpea cutlet loaves
  • Green Bean Casserole
  • Cornbread stuffing
  • Spiced sweet potatoes 
  • Gravy
  • Dinner Rolls
  • Apple Pie
  • Pumpkin Pie
  • Guest contribution: swamp cabbage! More on this later...
My mom had to go to work yesterday, so I was home alone with nothing to do but cook! Woe is me. I've done a good amount of the prep work, including making the cornbread for the stuffing.

Whole Grain Cornbread (adapted from VegWeb)

1 cup non-dairy milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 T cornstarch or arrowroot + 1 T water, whisked to combine

3/4 cup unbleached flour
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
3/4 cup cornmeal, medium grind
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
  1. Combine the wet ingredients, whisking to combine well.
  2. Assemble the dry ingredients in a separate bowl and mix.
  3. Add dry to wet, stir only until combined. Prolonged stirring makes for flat, stiff bread.
This bird guards the clean napkins year-round.

Papayas! Ah, Florida in November.

Papaya blossoms

No comments:

Post a Comment