Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Vegan MoFo: Bubbie Baby's Mandel Bread Recipe


As a follow-up to yesterday's post about veganizing my Grammy's mandel bread, I'm finally organized enough to share the recipe. Like biscotti, mandel bread can accommodate many different additions. Family favorites include candied ginger, dried cherries, cranberries, almonds, and pecans. The main difference between mandel bread and biscotti is vanilla vs. almond, respectively. Grammy's recipe used a dash of orange juice too, but I subbed with a couple drops (literally, drops) of orange extract. It's optional.

What makes these really tasty is their toastiness. If you can read the last 2 lines of the handwritten recipe, Grammy says to "Toast with fire for 10 min." I like that part.

Bubbie Baby's Vegan Mandel Bread
(adapted from family recipe and V-Con Biscotti)

1/3 cup soy milk
2 T ground flaxseed
1/2 cup sugar, heaping
1/2 cup canola oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
drop or two of orange extract, or a tablespoon of orange juice
1 cup all-purpose flour + 2/3 cup WW pastry flour (or all AP if you prefer)
2 T arrowroot powder or cornstarch
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup dried cherries
1/2 cup sliced almonds
Cinnamon and sugar from dredging

PREHEAT TO 350F

  • In a large bowl, combine flaxseeds and soy milk. Whisk briskly for 30 seconds. 
  • Add sugar, oil, vanilla, orange juice/extract and stir to combine.
  • Sift in the dry ingredients and stir just until the dough is formed.
  • Fold in your fruit and nuts.

  • Briefly knead the dough.
  • Line the baking sheet with a piece of foil or parchment (this makes things easier later.)
  • Form the dough into a long loaf, roughly 12x4 inches.

  • Bake for 30 minutes at 350F.
  • Remove from oven and transfer the loaf onto a cutting board. This is where the foil/parchment comes in handy.
  • Let cool for about 30-40 mins, until firm. During this time, heat oven to 375.
  • Very carefully slice the cooled, firmed loaf into 1/2-3/4 inch thick slices. A sharp knife helps is essential. Use firm, confident slices. Don't be tentative or try to saw the loaf-- this causes crumbles!
  • The slices are fragile! Carefully dredge the cut sides in cinnamon/sugar and place them, crust side down, on the baking sheet.
  • Toast with fire for 10 min!
  • (This means bake at 375 until slightly browned.)
  • Let cool on the baking sheet, then store in a sealed container to retain crispiness. 


Blog faux pas, reusing yesterday's photo. Sorry!





8 comments:

  1. thanks lady. i can't wait to get my ethnic cooking on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are perfect! I love biscotti and crunchy dry cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to try this. I think it will be my Sunday cooking project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karena, let me know how they come out for you!

    Miss V-- welcome! Love that you called this ethnic cooking. That made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks very good.
    I'm doing Vegan MoFo on my blog too, and I'm trying to visit as many fellow MoFoer's as possible. I'm so glad I discovered your blog, it's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are the coolest "Cool Megan" I know! I can't wait to try your Grammy's recipe! Mwa!

    ReplyDelete
  7. IT'S NOT VEGAN IF IT HAS MILK!

    ReplyDelete
  8. IT'S NOT VEGAN IF IT HAS MILK!

    ReplyDelete