Friday, January 1, 2010

January Foodmakers Potluck

This month's Baltimore Foodmakers potluck will be featuring meat and vegan meat alternatives. Fellow foodmaker Brian will be prep'ing salt-cured, local, pasture-raised meats from folks like Polyface Farms. I'll be coordinating the vegan side of things. I'm actually pretty excited for this event. Brian, former vegan, and I had a lengthy conversation about the ethics of eating only local, truly free-range meat on rare occasions. I can respect this perspective, but I'm also stoked to present the alternative: tasty protein-rich foods that are plant-based.

I'm planning to put some time, effort, and love into creating some (hopefully) impressive non-meat dishes. The top contenders for preparation are:

  • Buffalo tempeh
  • Chickpea cutlets and gravy
  • Bean-based meatloaf
I might try ordering these vegan drumsticks. I'm pretty sure they're what Yabba Pot is serving up. They're a little creepy, since they have a dowel in the center that's a bit startling and bone-like when you unsuspectingly bite or cut into it.

Anyways, here's Brian's description. If anyone who happens to be reading wants to attend, visit the group online and RSVP!


No comments:

Post a Comment