1 medium sized spaghetti squash (3 lbs-ish)
2 cups non-dairy milk, whatever you prefer
2 long green chiles, roughly diced
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus some to grease the pot
3 tablespoons flour (I used white whole wheat)
1 tablespoon cornstarch or arrowroot
1 tsp salt
1 cup shredded white vegan cheese (I used Veganrella) - optional but so good
Paprika to sprinkle on top - optional
- Preheat oven to 375. Cook the squash in the microwave for about 10 minutes or slice in half and cook in the oven for 15-20 minutes. Either way, cook that thing until it's tender when pierced with a fork. Let it cool before you handle it.
Meanwhile, slice the chiles and places them in a saucepan with the non-dairy milk. Simmer until just almost boiling, then let simmer for 15-20 minutes.
Strain off the peppers and reserve the infused cream.
- When the squash cools enough to handle, scrape out the stringy innards and place in your baking dish.
In a saucepan, slowly heat the olive oil to medium heat and gradually whisk in the flour and salt. Continue whisking until it smell cooked (like pie crust,) about 3 minutes. Then slowly add the cream, whisking it constantly for about 3 more minutes. I had to add some cornstarch to get this thick enough, but if yours is thick enough-- skip it.
- Pour the cream over the squash innards and mix. Taste for salt.
- Sprinkle cheese over the top, and hit it with the paprika.
- Place in pre-heated oven and cook until the cheese is melted and bubbly.