Wednesday, May 11, 2011

General Tso's Got a Brand New Bag

I don't know who General Tso was, but I'm a fan of his tofu. The spicier, the better. What I don't like is when my beloved spicy-sweet dish comes with these grease-logged sponges of tofu. Here's my version, using a method of oil-free, dry frying the tofu that I learned from Vegan YumYum. The sauce recipe is from VegWeb and is one of the top recipes on their sites. I served this over quinoa that had been cooked with a touch of tamari and lots of steamed broccoli.



General Tso's Non-Greasy Tofu
serves 4
  • 1 block firm or extra firm tofu
  • several scallions, diced
  • 2 tablespoons minced ginger
  • 2 table spoons minced garlic
  • 1 cup vegetable broth
  • 1/4 cup tamari
  • scant 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons sherry, optional
  • 1 to 2 tsp crushed red pepper, depending on your thermostat
  • 2 tablespoons corn starch + 1/4 cup water, combined
Geometry time: Cut the block of tofu into 8 equal rectangles. Cut each rectangle into two squares. Cut the squares into two triangles.

Preheat a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Needs to be at least ten inches across to fit all the tofu. Lay the tofu on the hot skillet, and depress with a strong spatula. Water will be released and will "dry fry" your tofu. When side one is golden, flip to side two. Repeat.

When tofu is done, set aside on a plate. In the same skillet, reduce heat to low and add scallions, ginger, and garlic with 1 tablespoon of water. Stir so that nothing burns and let cook for 2-3 mins. In the mean time, combine the remaining ingredients in a measuring cup (except for the cornstarch mixture.) Add liquid to the skillet, increase heat to high. Add the tofu and allow to slightly reduce. 

Add cornstarch/water mixture, stir to combine. It should begin to thicken and look glossy. Turn off heat, let set for a moment. Serve tofu and sauce over your grain and broccoli.

...and thanks to Kevin for--once again--helping me get the shot. You may be a nursing whiz kid now, but you're photo skillz aren't forgotten. 

1 comment:

  1. general tso's tofu from vegweb? That was one of my first vegan recipes to ever try, and I loved it! I also made it for my family when they came to visit. It was a hit all around. Mine was more saucy, though, and I had all kinds of veggies in it, so it looks different than yours. And I vaguely remember coating the tofu in cornstarch or something so they would "fry". So perhaps it isnt the same recipe but yours looks delicious :)

    ReplyDelete